Hyatt Hotels Corporation is an American multinational hospitality company that manages and franchises luxury hotels, resorts, and vacation properties. The Hyatt Corporation came into being upon purchase of the Hyatt House, at Los Angeles International Airport, on September 27, 1957. As of March 25, 2018, Hyatt has 777 properties in 54 countries. Fortune magazine ranked Hyatt #186 on its list of “America’s Best Employers” for 2018.
The first Hyatt House was a motel near Los Angeles International Airport, opened in 1954 by entrepreneurs Hyatt Robert von Dehn and Jack Dyer Crouch. In 1957, the hotel was purchased by entrepreneur Jay Pritzker for $2.2 million. His younger brother Donald Pritzker also took on an important role in the company. Considering the growing use of air travel for business, the Pritzker brothers realized that locating a high quality hotel near a major airport was a valuable business strategy. Within two years, they opened Hyatt House motels near San Francisco International Airport and Seattle–Tacoma International Airport.
On November 2013, Hyatt introduced their first all-inclusive resort brands, Ziva and Hyatt Zilara. As of 2015, Hyatt Ziva and Hyatt Zilara offer all-inclusive accommodations in Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos and Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica.
On October 28, 2015, Hyatt announced that they were in advanced talks to acquire Starwood Hotels in the coming weeks in a cash and stock transaction. The transaction was not completed, and Starwood was acquired by Marriott International instead.
- Grand Hyatt hotels are large luxury hotels in major cities and holiday destinations.
- Park Hyatt hotels are mid-sized, residential luxury hotels in cities considered premier destinations.
- Andaz hotels are upscale lifestyle boutique-style hotels.
- Hyatt Regency, Hyatt’s flagship hotel brand hotels, are mid- to large-scale premium hotels intended for both leisure and business travelers, including those attending conventions, located in urban, suburban, airport, convention, and resort destinations around the world.
- Hyatt hotels are smaller full-service hotels with 150 to 350 rooms located close to major business centers.
- Hyatt Centric is a new, full service lifestyle brand designed for business and leisure travellers.
- The Unbound Collection by Hyatt is a new division of hotels which are part of the Hyatt system but unbranded, maintaining their individual names.
- Hyatt Place hotels are mid-sized hotels catering to families.
- Hyatt House (formerly known as Hyatt Summerfield Suites or Summerfield Suites by Wyndham and Hotel Sierra) properties are extended-stay residential hotels and smaller-to-mid-sized modern hotels in urban and suburban locations in the United States.
- Hyatt Zilara and Hyatt Ziva hotels are all-inclusive resorts. Zilara does not accommodate children.
- Hyatt Residence Club are timeshare properties with the same service as the Hyatt brand.